Thursday, February 24, 2011

:Things To Hide Behind:

Several of my girlfriends invited me to a Bible study they started a couple weeks ago. I went for the first time on Tuesday night unprepared for how greatly one night would change my outlook.

 The book they are all reading is called "So Long, Insecurity" by Beth Moore. I don't own the book, but was inspired just from hearing their thoughts relating to what she has written.

We spent the better part of 3 hours talking about our insecurities and how they can affect every aspect of our lives. I guess I never really thought of myself as a really insecure person, but the more we talked, the more I began to see myself for who I really am.

Never noticed how we as women often use talents, job titles, skills, accomplishments, our looks, or even our spirituality to hide what's really going on in our hearts. We long for acceptance, security, praise, and adoration. We replace who God has made us with fake, trivial things to make people who aren't even a integral part of our lives think just a little higher of us. We refuse to let things fall apart; we believe our lives are our masterpieces. We become still life portraits, never having the courage to try something new just because we might fail. 

This is me.

I like to think that my life doesn't revolve around the opinions of those closest to me, but the truth is that sometimes my life revolves around the opinions of people I don't even know. I hide who I am from people because it's dangerous territory to be vulnerable. And honestly, sometimes I even hide who I am from ME.

Who am I if all that I've hidden behind is striped away?

1 comment:

  1. good stuff lauren! i promise next time i'll make you your own dish of bean dip...love ya!

    ReplyDelete